Having great relationships with your clients is crucial for any successful business. As the Client Relations Manager for Yerra, I get the honor of helping to develop those relationships. It is a fun job, and one that I take very seriously. These are my “Top 5” rules of thumb for building and maintaining strong client relationships.
- Trust, which is easily the most important part of any relationship, is especially critical in business relationships. Once trust is lost, it is difficult to rebuild it. The fastest path to eroding trust is to be dishonest or inconsistent. Also detrimental is failing to follow through or gossiping. A good way to build and keep trust? Start with promoting kindness and open communication. At Yerra, we focus on being a team people enjoy working with!
- This one is obvious, but don’t lie to your clients. Transparency is the easiest way to handle situations that could negatively impact your clients. If you are unsure of something, let the client know you are investigating it. It does more harm than good to make up something to sound knowledgeable.
- Inconsistency is frustrating for clients. Your performance should not vary from day to day. Consistency lets your clients know they can count on you.
- Failure to complete a task is a great way to damage trust. In the event the unexpected comes up, you should communicate it to the client as soon as possible. Think before you make a promise and if you make a promise keep it.
- Don’t be afraid to bring new ideas to the conversation. Your clients rely on you to push them to achieve more and work smarter, faster, better. Brainstorm!
Yerra understands that if you produce results while also showing kindness and respect to clients they will want to work with you. This is why at the core of our company’s philosophy are these ideals:
- Respect: appreciate the client’s time, concerns and opinions
- Commitment: say what you mean, do what you say
- Trust: be completely open with clients, your team and management
- Kindness: be someone that is pleasant to work with and clients will want to work with you more!
As the new Client Relations Manager at Yerra, I am proud to say that Yerra is fully committed to this philosophy. We strive to live these values with our clients every day.